Thursday, January 30, 2014

What direction are you heading today ? Meditation for 1/31/14

Daufuskie Island; SC

     
“As long as habit and routine dictate the pattern of living, new dimensions of the soul will not emerge.”  - Henry Van Dyke

“If nothing changes, nothing changes.”  - Ernie Larson

“If we always do what we always did, we will always get what we always got.”     - NLP Adage

     When we find ourselves in a pattern of recurring pain, we are undoubtedly stuck in a negative pattern.  Plato said “necessity is the mother of invention.”  That may be right, but a friend recently made a comment that gave me pause.  He said that growth only comes from pain, and if there is no pain we can only enhance the level of understanding that we have reached.  It would seem rather odd to advocate inflicting pain upon one’s self in order to grow, but I don’t suppose that is a new concept – the vast majority of the pain in my life has been self-inflicted.  I just didn’t realize it was me hitting myself in the head at the time.

     The biggest problem for me is that I believe my own perceptions.  And one of the most destructive perceptions that I convince myself of (without realizing it consciously) is that the pain of the familiar is more desirable than to risk the unknowns that come with change.  This is insanity.  I am repeating the same actions over and over, day after day, and expecting a result different than what I am getting now.  And this leads to misery – many steps past just basic pain.  And so the battle rages – fear of the unknown which manifests itself as unwillingness to change versus the pain and ultimate misery that comes with stagnation. 

     A ship can only move one degree at a time, and it is not even evident to one who is a passenger that a change is occurring.  Over a period of time, each one degree shift adds up – at some point to 180 degrees.  A complete change of direction can happen without the participant even really noticing the change.  What can we do today to make a lasting 1 degree shift in our direction toward a positive direction? I bet if we pray about it we will come up with a lot more than one.  But if we just focus on one today – and maybe for a couple of days – I bet we can make one small positive change that we can maintain.  Inch by inch everything’s a cinch – we can change the complete path and landscape of our life without major upheaval.  But the alternative – stagnation – is sure to pull us deeper into the mire.  Nothing stays the same – regardless of how it appears.  And that includes us.  So let’s be proactive – just one small positive change today.  Tomorrow will take care of itself, but today, just today, we can begin working on a legacy of excellence.

Today, may I do the work.

 If you have any trouble receiving this or the daily photo journal, please contact e by Clicking Here.  If you are able to contribute a bit to this journey, you can do so by Clicking Here.  And whatever you do, have a 

Happy Friday !!
David
    


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback